Sunday-Opening Acceptable Use Licence
(Traditionally, on Sundays, very little is open. The nature of the material made a Creative Commons Licence unsuitable, but I did not feel that Reserving All Rights would be appropriate, either.)
This Licence is derived from the Open Game Licence v1.0a published by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Plain English Summary
You may use the information given on the world and NPCs as source or setting material for fan-fics, RPGs, filks, artwork, etc. You may not use Goodies and Baddies for this. Any use of material must not conflict with how it is depicted or portrayed in The Published Works. All uses must be non-profit or charitable. All uses must include a copy of (or link to) this Licence, with appropriate copyright information added.
- "Originator" means Brian Wakeling, and any other person named as a copyright holder of a component or part of any of The Published Works.
- "The Published Works" means the novels, anthologies, collections and any other works published under, or as part of, the series titled Have Sword & Sorcery: Will Travel that were created by an Originator.
- "The Website" means all pages with "Hsaswt" in the URI, at the domain "www.sabremeister.me.uk"
- "Contributors" means the copyright and/or Trademark owners who have contributed Usable Content.
- "Derivative Material" means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgement, or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed, or adapted.
- "Distribute" means to reproduce, licence, pubicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute, play or use in a medium accessible to the public.
- "Usable Content" ("UC") means the background and settings as described on The Website, any characters described as NPCs on The Website, to the extent such content does not embody Reserved Content, and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as UC by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this Licence, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Reserved Content.
- "Reserved Content" ("RC") means the series name (a Trademark); stories, storylines, plots, artwork, designs, depictions, likenesses, themes and graphic representations; characters listed as "Goodies" or "Baddies" on The Website, their personalities, personas and likenesses; and any other trademark clearly identified as RC by an Originator, and which specifically excludes the Usable Content.
- "Trademark" means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the SOAUL by the Contributor.
- "Use", "Used" or "Using" means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of SOAUL Content, whether by print, electronic, or any other means.
- "You" or "Your" means the licencee in terms of this agreement.
This Licence applies to any Usable Content that contains a notice indicating that the UC may only be Used under and in the terms of this Licence. You must affix such a notice to any UC that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this Licence except as described by the Licence itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any UC distributed using this Licence.
- Offer and Acceptance
By Using Usable Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this Licence.
- Grant and Consideration
In consideration for agreeing to use this Licence, the Originators and/or Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence with the exact same terms of this Licence to Use, the Usable Content.
- Representation of Authority to Contribute
If You are contributing orignial material as Usable Content, You represent that your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this Licence.
- Notice of Licence Copyright
You must update the Copyright Notice portion of this Licence to include the exact text of the Copyright Notice of any Usable Content You are copying, modifying, or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder's name to the Copyright Notice of any original UC You Distribute.
- Derivative Material and Content
Derivative Material covered by this Licence includes, but is not limited to, works of fan-fiction, artwork, filks, background and/or setting information for role-playing games of any kind (including maps and models/miniatures for same), card games. Computer and other electronic games, videos, animations, live-action adaptions and non-role-playing board games are specifically NOT included in this Licence, and will require a separate agreement. When Derivative Material includes the use of NPCs listed on The Website, they must be non-protagonists, and Patrons (as defined in the GURPS rules) or as having de facto existence (ie. every country needs a ruler).
- Use of Usable Content
You agree that Usable Content from the Originators may be Used in Derivative Material, as long as it does not conflict with the depiction or portrayal given in the latest edition of The Published Works to feature said UC before the creation of the Derivative Material. You also agree that all Content be Used for non-profit and/or charitable purposes only.
- Use of Reserved Content
You agree not to use any Reserved Content, except as expressly licenced in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that RC, unless as an indicator of compatability with The Published Works, or acknowledging the work of another Contributor. The use of any RC in Usable Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that RC. The owner of any RC used in UC shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that RC.
The GURPS rules are the property of and copyright to Steve Jackson Games. The Published Works utilised the Generic Universal Role-Playing System (3rd Edition) in their creation. As such, all characters, settings and locations on The Website and in The Published Works were created either with the GURPS rules, or with the rules in mind. It is recommended, for consistency, that all Contributors, as a minimum, consult a GURPS ruleset before creating Content. Also, due to the involvement of GURPS, all Content created must be Used for non-profit or charitable purposes only, unless a specific Agreement is made with both the Originators and Steve Jackson Games.
Unless You are an Originator, anything You Distribute will be Usable Content. The only Reserved Content You may Distribute is Your own Trademark identifying Yourself as a Contributor.
- Updating the Licence
Brian Wakeling may publish updated versions of this Licence. You may use any authorised version of this Licence to copy, modify and distribute any Usable Content originally distributed under any version of the Licence. In any discrepancy between versions, the Licence most recently published will be held to be accurate.
- Copy of this Licence
You MUST include a copy of this Licence with every copy of the Usable Content You Distribute.
- Use of Contributor Credits
All Contributors of Usable Content must be credited in any UC You Distribute that includes work other than Your own. You may not use another Contributor's name and/or likeness to promote your own UC without their written permission.
- Inability to Comply
If it is not possible for You to comply fully with the terms of this Licence with respect to some or all of the Usable Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation, then You may not Use any material so affected.
This Licence will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein, and fail to remedy such breach within one calendar month of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicences shall survive the termination of this Licence.
If any part of this Licence is held to be unenforceable, such part shall be reformed to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
- Adaption of Licence
This Licence may serve as a template for other self-published and/or freelance creative persons who feel they have a marketable property that they are comfortable with releasing with less than All Rights Reserved status, and for whom a Creative Commons Licence is not appropriate, or unwieldy. To adapt it in such manner, you must include a statement similar to the one immediately before the Plain English Summary, and include in full the Copyright Notice below.
- Copyright Notice
Open Game License v 1.0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
SOAUL v1.0 Copyright 2008, Brian Wakeling